This simple yet delicious dish is perfect all year round and is a great breakfast treat.
Serves two or more
Preparation time: about 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
4 corn cobs
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
¼ capsicum, cut julienne
¼ Spanish (red) onion, finely cut
250 ml full-cream milk
200 ml olive oil
300 g self-raising flour
2 rashers of bacon
2 scoops sour cream
parsley, to garnish
pinch of salt
less than a teaspoon of pepper (black or white)
less than a teaspoon of turmeric
50 g tomato relish
10 g chutney
10 ml vinegar
1. Strip the kernels from the corn cobs and chop the spring onions, capsicum and Spanish onion. Mix together in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine two eggs with milk, then add olive oil and season with salt, pepper and turmeric. Whisk the mix while adding about 300 g of self-raising fl our, depending on the size of the eggs.
3. Add the vegetables to the batter mix and continue to whisk until it is nice and thick.
4. Lightly oil a grill or non-stick pan. Roughly shape four corn fritters and place on the grill or pan. You may have left over batter. Press down a little, once or twice, on the fritters with a spatula while cooking. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
5. Cook bacon at the same time as the fritters until golden and crispy on both sides.
6. While preparing the batter, start boiling water in a saucepan to poach eggs. Add a dash of vinegar to the water. To get a perfect poached egg, place the eggs in the water while still in their shell, as if making soft-boiled eggs, for 10 seconds. Remove the eggs and wait for them to be cool enough to touch before cracking and placing gently into the water. Cook for about two to three minutes.
7. Cut the avocado in half, hitting the top of the pip with a sharp knife sternly but carefully to remove the pip. To remove the skin of the avocado, firmly grip the centre and then pinch the skin at the bottom. It should peel off smoothly in one motion.
8. Place fritters on each plate followed by bacon, egg, sliced avocado and a scoop of sour cream. Garnish with parsley. Mix the tomato relish and chutney with a ratio of five to one and place in a small dipping bowl.
Do you have a fritter recipe or anything else you'd like to share? Comment below for others to enjoy!