With some smart outdoor heating and clever backyard styling, you can enjoy fantastic outdoor entertaining in comfort and style year-round.
Here, Chris Florac, outdoor heating specialist and product manger for leading heating range Décoﬁre, shares his top tips for cosy outdoor entertaining this winter.
1. GO NAKED Without doubt, there’s nothing that warms your hands or your heart more on a winter’s day than the inviting glow of a dancing naked ﬂame.
A real ﬁre creates an eye-catching centrepiece for any outdoor space and provides a focal point around which to gather with family and friends when entertaining outdoors.A modern ﬁre pit is a great outdoor heating solution, providing warmth combined with ambient style.
2. FIRE STYLE When it comes to choosing a ﬁre pit, consider the amount of space you have available. If you have a generous backyard and you are a regular outdoor entertainer, then opt for a good-sized ﬁre pit with a generously sized ﬁre bowl.
This will provide a bigger heat out-put over a wider distance and a longer burning time without the need to keep re-fuelling. If, however, you have a small backyard, then it pays to go up in height, so opt for a vertical or cylindrical design style that will heat your area without taking up precious ﬂoor space.
3. COMFORT ZONE Unlike in summer where the barbecue can often take centre stage, in winter it’s time for your ﬁre pit to shine.
The right design can be a beautiful focal point if your outdoor space is lacking that something special. When entertaining, arrange seating around the ﬁre pit so everyone enjoys the warmth and entrancing ﬂ icker of the ﬂames.
4. RUG UP Create a warm welcome for guests by providing blankets and throws for them to snuggle up under. Choose rich colours — think shades of orange, burnt amber and ﬂaming red. Add co-ordinated cushions in sumptuous textures and luxurious weaves to complete your comfort zone.
5. LIGHT THE WAY Set the mood for your winter soirée with pretty table lights, stylish hanging lamps and scented outdoor candles.
Weave a string of paper lanterns through a tree or around a post or pillar to create a magical outdoor setting that will enchant your family and friends and create happy memories for many years to come. Décoﬁ re is part of the Mayo Hardware product range, available through Bunnings.
Do you have outdoor heating at your home? Share your design tips in the comments below.