Not only is gnocchi a great dish to serve up to a crowd, it is also an excellent source of carbs to enjoy after a workout.
Author Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, cannot get enough of gnocchi and was more than happy to share with us his recipe for chicken and leek gnocchi bake.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
Equipment: 23 x 18 cm baking dish
500 g fresh gnocchi
100 g kale, hard stalks removed
1 chicken stock cube
½ tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 leeks, cut into 5 mm rounds
500 g skinless chicken breast, cut into 3 cm chunks
200 g mushrooms, brushed clean and roughly sliced
25 g plain ﬂour
½ tsp English mustard powder
25 g parmesan, grated
½ bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
steamed vegetables, to serve — optional
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and preheat your oven to 190ºC (fanforced 170ºC/gas mark 5).
2. When the water is boiling, drop in the gnocchi and cook for two minutes. Add the kale and cook for a further two minutes. Use a mug to scoop out 300 ml of the cooking liquid. Add the chicken stock cube to the mug, stir, and set aside. Drain the gnocchi and kale.
3. While the gnocchi is cooking, melt the coconut oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. When hot, add the chopped onion and leeks and fry for about three minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Crank up the heat to maximum and add the chicken and mushrooms to the pan. Stirfry for a few minutes or until the meat takes on a little colour.
4. Reduce the heat to just below medium and stir in the ﬂour. Stir-fry for one minute, then gradually start adding the stock. Stir in a quarter of the liquid at a time to avoid lumps.
5. When all the liquid has been added, bring to the boil, then take the pan off the heat and stir in the mustard powder, parmesan and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Tip the drained gnocchi and kale into the pan and gently stir everything together. Tip the mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and then slide it into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden.
7. Remove from the oven and serve on its own or with a big bowl of steamed vegetables.